Sunday, October 28, 2007

Toilet Pumpkin; Carrot Facial


Anyone want to come West next Halloween? Because we have the best new Halloween event ever - the pumpkin race. The deal is you decorate a pumpkin and put a set of wheels on it, and then let 'er rip down the big hill toward the pier. The whole event was both meticulously organized and relentlessly silly. Here you can see a few pumpkins in the staging area waiting for the semifinal heats; yes, the white pumpkin in the foreground is decked out like a toilet, complete with flush handle and a roll of t.p. flying off the back. The referees made a big show of "core checks" to make sure that there were no imposters, and at one point did a very public smashing of a watermelon that had snuck into the race with some orange paint.

This was all in the context of the downtown trick-or-treating, so practically the whole town was out there; and fortunately for Luke, that meant lots of police presence (truth be told, the police were mainly out to do a mock "arrest" of the pumpkin cheater, and to race their own police pumpkin).



At one point during the race the emcee said, "Just think of all of those poor people back East freezing through Halloween, and here we are in 70 degree weather, rolling pumpkins into a magnificent sunset at the beach." So I did think about that, and I managed to get a little bit of the tail end of the sunset in the picture with the policeman.

Funny little side note: The actor Kevin Nealon lives nearby, and I have seen him around town many times, at the farmers' market, etc. Yesterday he was loping around in that Kevin Nealon-y kind of way (but presumably not wanting to be recognized) in a massive hot dog costume with his face painted. I didn't want to be so tacky as to take his picture, but darned if it wasn't so darned funny.

Another thing that I find tacky is pictures of infants with food smeared all over their faces. But I guess there's an exception to every rule. Zach just seemed so darned happy yesterday while giving himself this carrot facial that I just had to take a picture.



Was Luke neater, or was it just that I never took pictures of him making a mess? Well, either way, we're fully in the realm of baby food these days, much to the delight of both Zach and Luke. How can you not want to join in the fun?

No comments: