Thursday, February 21, 2008

"Gonna be your man in motion..."

"...all I need is a pair of wheels..." Anyone remember that song from the little-known movie "St. Enzo's Fire"?

I kid, I kid. But I have had to lock the child safety gate to keep our man in motion from motioning himself right down the stairs. He can now sit up from a lying down position and he can do the army crawl to get from point A (anywhere he is) to point B (wherever I am). The disconcerting thing is, he's almost always crying/whining while doing it. I guess it takes a lot of effort to move that large midsection of his with those little arms and legs. But all told, he really has nothing to complain about. How lucky is a guy whose mom stays home with him and takes him to the beach? (See photo evidence above)

Luke has had a bad cough,which is alternately disturbing and fascinating to him. He woke up at 3:15 am the other night and I had to hold him on my lap in a steam-filled bathroom for a while to get the coughing to subside. But as soon as he got his bearings, he leaped up to go back to his room to get his pop-up anatomy book so we could look at pictures of lungs and constricted bronchial tubes filled with mucus. Yes, this is at three in the morning.

The next morning I had one of those traveling medics come over to do a blood test for me, and Luke wanted desperately to tell her about his illness. "Doctor, I have a cough..." he began. "Well, let me show you." He ran off to get the anatomy book and opened it to the lung page. "See - here's where the mucus is going to carry the germs out of my lung." I don't know what she was thinking but it was probably her only anatomy lesson from a 4-year-old that day.

This afternoon we're off to look at a tall ship that is docking nearby. I don't care much about the ship itself, and neither does Luke, probably, but it has a cannon and I know that is going to rock his world. Lucky, lucky boys.

No comments: