Sunday, March 08, 2009

Faces

A few weeks ago we had a chance to do a photo shoot with a super-primo studio that only works with black-and-white and does formal archival prints. Among the many shots they took (it was hard to choose) was this one, for which I got some "machine prints" done to give to people, and one more that I possibly like even better for which I got the archival print. Trouble is, I decided not to spend our entire house savings on getting it framed by the same studio -- I figured, what the heck? I can frame it myself. So instead they delivered it to me in a special cellophane envelope backed with cardboard, and two white gloves to handle it. Turns out it has to be dry-mounted and the print will be damaged if you touch it with your hands. So now I'm left with a beautiful picture tucked away in an envelope that only I can see and touch with gloves on. But at some point when I do get it dry-mounted, anyone who comes to our house will be able to see it (and I hope it will take your breath away, as it did mine).

I guess I can't say enough about how amazing Zach's speech development has been. I just asked Dave, "What kinds of things did Zach say today?" and he said - "Oh, my gosh - where do I start?" One thing that impressed me today was when he filled up two watering cans and came running over to me saying, "Two waters! Two waters!" How amazing is it that he could 1) identify that there were "two" of an object and 2) use the plural correctly! Also I know Dave has been excited every time he uses a gerund ("Water running!") Not to mention that he is an absolute sweetheart... Tonight Luke was not feeling well so Zach went out for a walk with Dave and came back with a flower he picked for Luke. Can you say "Awwwwww!" or do you want me to say it?

There are tons of things about Luke that I'd like to say, but mostly I am feeling bad for him because he was so floppy and under the weather today. But here are some exciting things: One, the kindergarten registration process is underway AND the preparations are in place for his preschool graduation ceremony. Graduation! Two, I talked with one of his teachers who leads the special creative writing class that he takes. She told me that she loves having him in the class because he is always coming up with great new ideas for stories. Even when the other kids just want to write the same old thing, he is always pressing them to try new ideas (Sample story: "The Flower Honey and the Cow in the Forest" -- come by our house for details). So that made me just about collapse with pride. He is definitely a nonconformist at school. I'm just glad he found a subject that will allow him to shine.

Have you ever seen such beautiful brothers?

No comments: