On Saturday night we had the annual family campout on one of the local baseball fields next to a big park. Luke was in hog heaven because he had three little buddies to run around with and they were all carrying swords or light sabers and fighting off "bad guys" for most of the night. Zach and I enjoyed the dinner and time with our friends, then went home for a cozy night of sleep in our own beds, and then rejoined the motley crew in the morning. At 8:30 the fishing derby began and, after a quick tutorial on casting, Dave and Luke caught not one but two pond turtles. Then we all came home, muddy, cranky, and counting the days until next year's campout.Today is election day here in California, which marks the culmination of Dave's first campaign as a solo operator. I don't want to speak too soon but at the moment it appears that his new company is a roaring success. Somehow he's managed to start his own new business, run a major statewide campaign, coach his kid's t-ball team, and be a great dad and husband every day. I don't know how he does it. The other day Dave had a meeting with a potential new client, and Luke wanted to know how the client knew to call Dave. "Does everyone in the world have your phone number?" he asked incredulously. Also, Dave and I had a good chuckle when Dave received a blind resume submission from a guy who wants to work in politics. The letter began, "I know that at your campaign group, you only hire the finest employees..." to which Dave, the sole employee, had to agree that the guy has a good point.
I have to confess that I am a little worried about money coming in after May, but we might have found a solution in Luke. I did a scratch-off lottery ticket with him a few months ago (bad mom! bad mom!) and he won, so he wanted to do another one, and he won, so now he wants to get one whenever we go to the store. The other day I got him a ticket along with a little speech about how you don't always win, and that's why it's a game, etc. etc. So he took the ticket along to a playdate and I kind of forgot about it until I joined him at our friends' house and the two moms that were there were puzzling over the ticket. "I don't know how to read these things - I can't tell if he won anything or not," said one mom. The winning numbers were 24 and 28, and his whole ticket was 24, 28, 24, 28, 24, 28, etc. Turns out he won fifty dollars! By my count he has won at least $75 so far this year. Now I will be totally to blame when he has to go to Gamblers Anonymous meetings by age 8.
And now for today's moment of zen: Zach and I are driving in the car after having dropped off the baby sitter at the train station. Zach is sitting quietly, until out of the blue he announces, "Some foods...are very...crunchy." Okay, then. Carry on.
No comments:
Post a Comment