I'm extremely pleased to report that Dave declared yesterday as "The Best Father's Day Ever." And it was pretty darned good for me too. Dave took up the invitation of his good friend Paul (known to Luke as Friend Paul) to take the boys over to Dodger Stadium for a special Father's Day ball-playing opportunity down on the field. Dads were invited with their kids to toss a ball around on the grass, after which they all got free Dodger Dogs and ice cream. Good deal, right?
The best part was that the boys had a great time -- at one point sharing a feel-good moment of brotherly love -- and Dave came home calling it "even bigger and better than expected." Oh, and I got four hours of "free" time while they were gone. How do you like that?After that we had a fun cookout/celebration with Dave's side of the family (including Uncle Jerry) in Long Beach. Zach kept himself busy shooting baskets, while Luke spent most of his time poring over the Lego catalog and deciding what to get next.
At one point Dave took Zach out in front and Zach stopped to admire a nice flat, round rock. Turns out that it was a rock that Dave spotted in a park when he was 10 or 11 at a camping/cookout adventure, and he was thoroughly amused that it looked like a hamburger, so he brought it home. "That's a...nice...rock," said Zach. "You're right!" said Dave, "That's the same thing I said when I first saw it 30 years ago!" So he promptly picked it up and packed it in the car to bring to our house. As Dave explained to me later, "For the past 30 years, every time I walk into my parent's house, I pass that rock and I think, 'Hey, there's my hamburger rock.' So I thought it would be a nice Father's Day thing to bring it to my house and share it with my own son." So if you walk into our front door and see a round rock, now you'll know why.
Final thought - Chances are Luke has been watching too much TV lately. This afternoon in the car he said to me (out of the blue), "You know Mom, if you or Dad have a heart attack, you should probably take some Lipitor."
Huh?
Next up on the docket: Pre-K graduation!
No comments:
Post a Comment