It's stupid, and true; I am pretty sure I broke a toe - my second toe-break in two years (albeit a different toe). I am so mad at myself for this happening two weeks before the big race. It happened just as I finished a great ocean swim with some buddies. I was coming into the shore, I started to push off from the bottom just as I got knocked by a wave from behind, and somehow I jammed my second toe into the sand at an odd angle.
I went to the doctor today and he checked it out from every angle to make sure no other bones were involved, and he declared that it was probably a hairline fracture. However, he (sensibly) declined to order an x-ray because the treatment would be the same whether it was broken or not and he'd rather not see me waste the money or get the extra radiation. Now I just have to stay off it as much as possible (haha! joke! after I've been up and down the stairs 17 times today already!) and give it some rest before the big race.
Luke is in a new camp this week and I'm thrilled to see him settling right in with new teachers and new surroundings (fortunately a lot of his friends are in this camp too, so he's not alone). When Zach and I picked him up today, we hung around the playground with a new friend of his from class and the two of them got busy almost immediately playing "Star Wars" (which is funny to me, because neither of them appears to have any idea what they're talking about, but they have all the right lingo).
Luke also told me that he tried celery at camp today and he decided that he kind of likes it. My new favorite camp! My tolerance for picky eaters is pretty low, and Luke seems to be among the pickiest. I'm glad he found a new food that he likes because he's eliminated almost all the rest. For meal options we're now down to peanut butter and jelly, plain spaghetti, hot dogs (but only certain kinds of hot dogs), pizza (but only certain kinds of pizza), and Wahoo's chicken and rice and beans (but only chicken and rice and beans from Wahoo's, nowhere else). I try to console myself with the fact that Joe used to be a picky eater, and now he eats everything, including stuff that I won't even sit in the same room with. Apparently Dave used to be super-picky as a kid too, and he's much better now, but his "will-not-eat" list still includes foods that I consider necessities: eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms, broccoli, and shrimp. Mmmmm. Now I'm getting hungry.
Zach is in the refrigerator all the time but I'm not worried about him eating too much; if anything he's on the bodybuilder's diet. His go-to food is hard-boiled eggs, and he only eats the egg whites, so he's kind of like a lean protein machine. In fact, he has the strongest mid-section of any child I've ever seen. It's evident when he goes to the playground and hangs from a bar and just holds his legs straight out in mid-air for minutes at a time. It's also evident when you try to force him to do something he doesn't want to do, like get his hair cut. ("This kid is stronger than a bull," declared our hair-cutter, Linda, which Dave loved to hear because he is convinced that Zach is a classic Taurus.)
One of my favorite Zach-isms is when we're at the beach and he sees one of the advertising planes. He'll point to it and say, "There's a plane...pulling a sign!" The other day he looked up in the sky and saw a small prop plane and said, "There's a plane... pulling a sign... without a sign!" This morning Luke and I decided to help him make a little sign to tie to the back of his toy plane. Luke contributed the artwork: a little drawing of a beer bottle, and the words, "The Good Time Lime." Ah, summertime.
No comments:
Post a Comment