Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Have a Lego

Another Luke birthday and if I only had two words to describe it, those words would be "cold" and "Legos" (but not cold Legos). It's only about 25 degrees, and with 25 mph winds, that makes it just about zero, right? Luke wanted to play with his new Legos outside at one point, and he insisted on going outside without a jacket on, but it was only a matter of seconds before he was back inside, putting on every possible layer.

The real birthday celebrations started two days ago, when Luke came out to Joe's a day ahead of everyone else for a sleepover with his cousins. Let's just say there was a lot of Wii involved and not so much sleep.

Yesterday Dave and Zach and I arrived here for the real action to start. Five boys and I piled into Joe's car and headed to the Lego store for about 30 minutes of pure, unadulterated joy on Luke's part. Then we came home, weighted down by big yellow bags, and settled in for a night of Lego building.

I thought we were going to order in, but what do you know, Joe just happened to have some filet mignon lying around, and he made some chimichurri-style sauce, and Sara made some Mexican-inspired Puerto Rican beans (her description) and rice, and before you knew it, it was as if we were dining at the finest restaurant in town.

Today we built a Lego cake and Joe made a pizza-and-pasta feast. There were 12 of us altogether once Mom and Dad, Uncle Larry, and Aunt Marie arrived. Good food, good times. I love you, my six-year-old boy.

No comments: