Friday, August 13, 2010

Nested

At the end of the day, when I ask Luke what was his favorite part of the day, the answer has started to become predictable: "Everything."

When Luke feels something, he feels it deeply: his love for his DS, Legos, and Star Wars; his hatred of bug bites, wild amusement rides, and any weather that requires wearing something heavier than a t-shirt and shorts. At dinner time last night, I asked him, harmlessly enough, whether he wanted lasagna or macaroni and cheese. "What?!?!?!" was his response, as he doubled over in horror. He was so completely appalled it was as if I had asked him whether he'd prefer pig knuckles or grubs.

But here's why I can't get enough of him: If you can channel that passion, it's a beautiful thing. Yesterday at the adventure farm, he fell in love with the giant slingshot. Then he found out that if you hit a target (a large cutout of a water bottle or Coke bottle) that was about 30 yards away, you'd win a prize. Of course he didn't care much about the prize (a Coke keychain) but he was determined to win it. He shot tennis ball after tennis ball through the slingshot, extending his range and refining his aim. "I am going to win this, Mom," he declared. Even the teenager monitoring the slingshot game was smiling and shaking his head.

Soon enough it was time to move on to the next attraction. But before we left, I told him he could do one more game, so he chose to do the slingshot again. And this time, he nailed it. He marched back to me, grinning from ear to ear, keychain in hand.

All of this is not to say that Zach hasn't been enjoying himself too. What's not to like about staying over in a red caboose? With not one but two sets of bunk beds? After we checked in, Zach spent the first 30 minutes running back and forth singing, "We're in a caboo-oose, we're in a caboo-oose!" But it surprised even me how much Luke enjoyed it. He pretty much made himself comfortable on the top bunk, declared it the coziest place he'd ever been, and stayed in his little nook for as long as he could, right up until checkout.

I'm also pleased to see Luke's confidence picking up as he branches out to do new things. Zach didn't want to climb up the hundred stairs to the top of the "watchtower" (grain silo) but Luke was more than happy - in fact, he led the way (see pic above). At the pick-your-own farm earlier today we learned we could get pears, so Luke grabbed the pear-picking stick and got to work. Then we weren't sure if the raspberries were plentiful or good enough for picking, but Luke assured us he'd find a way. He led the charge, green cardboard picking-pints in hand, confidently down row after row of raspberry bushes, until he had collected a beautiful pint-ful.

The other thing about Luke that I don't quite know how to explain is his newfound fascination with - and knowledge of - Harry Potter. Apparently his DS game follows the book in close detail, because when I started reading the first book with him this week, he knew exactly what was coming at every turn, down to the characters' names. (When we were reading about Harry Potter meeting some people at a pub, Luke asks, "Is this where he meets Professor Quirrell - the one who stutters?" And sure enough, on the next page, he meets Professor Quirrell: "N-n-nice to m-m-m-meet you, H-h-h-harry.") I thought I'd tap into this a little bit so I asked Luke if maybe for his birthday this year he'd like to have a wizard-themed birthday party. I thought he was going to fly out of his chair right there: "AWESOME!!!!"

Last but not least, the boys and I have a little bit of a sentimental connection to baby chicks because of a game I've played with both of them since they were very small. That's why one of the chief attractions of the adventure farm - a little coop with about 20 baby chicks - was a great thing for them. They picked them up, not especially gently, but well enough to do the job, and were captivated for a long time, stroking and talking to them softly. We learned that the chicks squawk and yelp if you let their legs dangle, but if you cup your hand underneath them and make a little nest-type thing for them to curl up in, they'll stay with you as long as you like. Good to know.

No comments: