Thursday, November 25, 2010

Headspin

I'm feeling a little dizzy right now. Last I knew I was in California. Then I went hurtling through space in a Southeastern direction, landed in Orlando and somehow found myself whipping at high speeds through Hogwarts castle. Next thing I know I'm at Tony and Joanna's house. What time is it, by the way?

We are on our Florida trip, and it is happening pretty darn fast. But it's fast in a good way, in everyone's opinion, except for Luke who is already mad that it's not going to be longer. As we headed out on our fantastic Virgin Airlines flight, Dave used the text feature to send a giddy message to me from the row behind: "This may be our best vacation this year!"

Luke and I spent the first day at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, or should I say waiting in line there. I'll sum it up with the amount of time spent in each line. Getting in the front gate of Islands of Adventure (10 minutes); waiting for timed entry passes to Harry Potter (10 minutes); waiting at the front entrance of Harry Potter (10 minutes); waiting at Olivander's wand shop (65 minutes); waiting at Honeyduke's candy store (20 minutes); waiting at Three Broomsticks for lunch and $10 butterbeers (60 minutes). After lunch I didn't think I had the stomach to wait in line again - and we hadn't even gone on any rides. But the castle beckoned and the sign said the line was "only" 75 minutes, so we decided to do it. The line zoomed right along and after about 30 minutes we happily entered the castle and gleefully watched the portraits talking to us in each room.

Then came the ride portion of the castle. I had assured Luke that there would be some turning and dipping (he is frightened of even the most gentle roller coasters) but it would be a fun way to see the castle. They strapped us into our chairs and - FOOM! What followed was the single most terrifying six minutes of my life with Luke. We were whipped, twisted, and catapulted through a 3-D scene of dementors and skeletons chasing us and flying through the air on broomsticks. (Oh - so THAT's why you have to be over four feet tall, not pregnant, in perfect health, and not over 260 pounds to go on this ride) I was holding Luke's hand but the scene was so loud and our heads were strapped into dividers so I couldn't talk to Luke or even check in with him to make sure he was OK. At a certain point, I didn't know whether I was more scared of the ride or more worried for Luke. But then it was done and, even though he declared he never wanted to do it again, he was fine, no tears. Just guilt for me.

Meantime Dave and Zach were having a rollicking good time at the water park where we stayed, and even after Luke and I dragged ourselves back from Harry Potter, Dave and Zach continued to go down the waterslides again and again and again.

Three hours after they dried off, we arrived at Tony and Joanna's house and we have been soaking up the Florida sun ever since then. The boys have been busy with toys, video games, and pool time; and last night we participated in an annual Florida Thanksgiving-Eve tradition: Dinner at the Deli. Then, even though we got home late, we had an impromptu birthday party for Eli out on the back patio. The boys blew party streamers and waved glowsticks in the air, and I took pictures that were so blurry they were dizzying. Kind of like this trip.

No comments: