Sunday, March 27, 2011

Ev-ry-thing's coming up purple

Ohmigosh, we hosted the Best Shabbat Ever on Friday night. No, wait, it isn't a competition. But still... it was so great I somehow feel like I won something. I spent all day cooking an entirely purple feast ("purple" turkey, purple wild rice, purple potatoes, purple cabbage, purple beet salad, blue cornbread, purple grapes, and purple blackberry cake) and it was magnificent, I am proud to say.

Why purple? No special reason, just a sudden inspiration. And it's been five years - five years - since we've been doing Shabbat with this particular group of friends, so we've already cooked just about everything else in our repertoire. The best compliment of the night was when Julie groaned, "How are we ever going to follow this up when it's our turn?" - followed by much discussion of what their "color" should be.

From Zach's perspective, the best part was the fact that we had Turkey With Bones for dinner, something he hasn't had a chance to enjoy since Thanksgiving. In fact, when dessert was over, he asked for more Turkey With Bones (the drumstick). Then in the morning, when he woke up, he wanted Turkey With Bones for breakfast. Clearly this is a kid who knows what he wants. And all day long, whenever I kissed him, I could smell the turkey on his face.

Yesterday when I was skating I slipped on a sandy patch and tore up my elbow a little bit (Mom - don't panic! I'm fine!). When I got home, the boys all rushed to my rescue. Dave got me the Neosporin, Luke cleaned the wound and got me Band-aids, and Zach soaked the blood out of my shirt and brought me a full bag of dried cranberries. Do I have the best urgent care center in town, or what?

I spent most of the day today working on a video project (more details to come soon!) for the Jolly Tomato. While I wrote the script and did the storyboarding, Dave did all of the splicing and editing. Then I picked the music, and Dave wrapped the whole thing in to perfection. It turns out, even though he's never really done this before, he is a video GENIUS.  So right now we are watching the little video over and over again and patting ourselves on the back. Now it's off to the wrap party...

No comments: