Sunday, October 23, 2011

Portrait of the Artist as a Young Ham

Zach likes art, and I think he's pretty good at it. But who cares what I think; I'm his mom. It's when other people start noticing it that I think we might have something going on here.

Example: He made a Halloween picture the other day in school and the teachers were so excited about it I overheard them telling some other kids' parents, "You have GOT to see this Halloween picture that Zach drew." Clockwise from top right: A giant vampire bat, a haunted house, a jack-o-lantern, a bag filled with candy, a witch with a pointy hat, and a ghost. When the picture came home I thought Luke had drawn it.

Then on Friday I got us all ready for pumpkin carving: I took our two biggest pumpkins and set them outside with two magic markers, with the idea that each boy would draw a face on one pumpkin for me to carve out. What happened next says just as much about Luke as it does about Zach. Apparently Zach picked up the markers and drew faces on both of the pumpkins. Was Luke mad? No! He was so impressed with Zach's jack-o-lantern faces that he was practically electrified. He came rushing inside: "Mom! You have GOT to see the faces Zach made on the pumpkins! They're incredible!" And it's true - they were perfectly proportioned and placed, and they had just the right comic edge to look like great jack-o-lanterns.

Speaking of pumpkins and jack-o-lanterns: Didja know that Luke can spell "pumpkin" and "jack-o-lantern"? Also "autumn" and "Halloween" and "manufactured" and "libraries," among other words. Each week the 2nd-graders get a choice of three spelling tests (easy, medium, or hard) and he always chooses - and aces - the most challenging test. My kinda kid.

No comments: