There's been so much to say about Zach lately; Luke deserves a turn too. Today I had to go to L.A. to interview a chef, so I took the opportunity to bring along my "personal assistant" Luke with me. I figured he'd be interested in listening to what the chef had to say and maybe checking out the kitchen; I didn't realize how much a kid's perspective could actually help in the interview. Of course it helped that the chef was a super-cool guy to begin with, and he lightened the mood by getting Luke started off with an enormous milkshake before anything else happened.
So I was talking to the chef about trying new foods, and he was telling me his theories about stepping out of your "comfort zone," and someone mentioned Korean barbecue. This got Luke all excited because we had just recently been to a Korean barbecue place with some pretty crazy unidentified foods. This got the chef all excited because he had just been to a Korean barbecue place at which he felt obligated by his Korean friends to eat a very large and scary-looking veal intestine.
"Wait - I've got a picture of it! You've got to see this," he crowed, flipping through the pictures on his phone. "Just hang on, it's in here somewhere. It'll be totally worth it, I promise."
About 5 minutes or so later, he finally found the picture, which generated the same grimace from both me and Luke, but the chef assured us that once he tasted it, it was truly "sweet" and "tasty." Had Luke not been there, would the chef have been so excited about showing me his veal intestine picture, and would I have gotten that particular insight into his personality? Signs point to "no." So the moral of the story is, bring your kids to work with you whenever possible. Oh, and wide-eyed Luke now has some good stories to share with his friends when he gets back to school tomorrow.


No comments:
Post a Comment