Friday, August 31, 2012

Snippets

Again, no good excuses for not writing, just that there's too darned much going on and no extra time whatsoever. So...didja know that we went to San Diego? And that the boys started school? And that Zach is a kindergartner now? My next post: college graduation.

Aw, JK, as the kids like to say.

Wading through a field of peppers at the farm in San Diego

Look,  Mom, a vegetable!

Stop picking peppers, or I'll shoot!

Everyone (OK, just Zach) is a little slap-happy after a few hours out in the field.

In San Diego, I booked a room at the downtown Marriott at the AAA rate, which meant that we were only able to get a city-view room. Dave called before we arrived to find out if we could get a harbor-view room on a high floor. No dice. When we checked in, he spent some time talking to the front desk clerk, and came back to report, "No luck." Then he took us into the elevator, up to our room...on the 21st floor... and when we opened the door - an astonishing, world-beating view of the harbor and beyond. (What you see here is a view straight down to the pool.) I don't know how he does it. Well, he's got the charm going for him. That's one thing.

 
After that fantastic end to the summer, the boys started school on Wednesday. Luke was miserable about starting school, but he lucked out: Every single one of his friends is in his class this year. I don't know how they're going to get anything done, but I told him, "You have nothing left to complain about." 

Zach had his first day of kindergarten. When I left him, there were no tears, just that look he gets when he is totally overwhelmed. But by the time I picked him up, he came running out and declared, "I had a great day!" Then he added, "Kindergarten is really short." No kidding, dude. Three hours and 20 minutes - who comes up with this stuff?

I am still a little fretful about Zach's class because he doesn't really know the other kids and some of the boys seem way more mature than he is. So I am hoping that he finds at least one good little friend. But today, even though we hadn't bonded immediately with anyone in kindergarten, Zach got invited over to a playdate at Ashley's house... and then later in the day, he got invited to go the beach with his friend Lucas from beach camp. Lucas' dad was teaching them how to boogie-board, and apparently Zach is a natural. Who needs screen time, when you can end the day doing...this?



No comments: