Friday, September 30, 2005

mean girls

Aaaaaaahhhhh! How am I going to write now that I know someone is actually *reading* this? Do I have to go out of my way to seem less stupid than I really am?

Well, I thought I'd make this entry a dual-purpose one. First, it will serve to remind Joe to watch "Mean Girls." Second, it will give me a chance to vent about the same queen-bee situation happening 20 or so years after high school. (Note to self - How specific can I get here? Will I ever want some friends to be able to read this? I sorta think not, but I am still feeling the need to be somewhat generously vague).

So what is it about being a mom and forming playgroups, etc., that starts to revive stupid cliques all over again? I'm not insecure enough to get sucked in (I think) but at the same time I feel bummed when I'm left out of events. And what do I have in common with these people anyway, except for having kids the same age? At first I thought it was a socioeconomic size-of-the-diamond thing, but now I'm not so sure. I think it's more a matter of people starting to cling together with others who think like-mindedly and, as it relates to this specific group, I'm not of the like mind.

Or maybe it's more complex than that - I really like one or two of the women in this group, and I'm just consistently disappointed when I see them get sucked into the peer pressure of the rest of the group. Individually, they're fine.

At the park today I was telling myself - "Maybe it's awkward or frustrating now, but it'll all sort itself out in time." But the only thing that is time-sensitive is this Halloween party. Why do I have to stretch myself to the limits to include a whole group of people whom I don't even like that much?

Ugh. 'Nuff said for now. Maybe it's time to go back to organizing crafts for 22 toddlers.

Luke update: Still jamming with the guitar (and carrying it around for most of the day) but when I put AC/DC on the radio today, he was saying "Off! Off!" Does that mean he actually has better taste than I give him credit for?

Also, one other amazing memory thing: Three weeks ago, we went to the Barnes & Noble and the fire alarm went off and we had to leave. Today, we drove up to the Barnes & Noble, and I asked Luke if he remembered it and he said "Beep! Beep! Beep!" That just blows me away.

The last Luke thing is just a little comment on frustration. I know most of his regular words, but every now and then he says something so emphatically, over and over again, and I sound out every possible syllable and similar sound and I can't for the life of me figure out what he wants. I hope we get past this soon, because I'm sure it's even more frustrating for him than for me.

Tomorrow we're off to Gaby's (Bady's) birthday party and the life-size Elmo who is due to scare everyone. All Luke cares about, however, is "Cake."

No comments: