Sunday, October 02, 2005

Bye, beans

Ahhh...entering toddler tantrum territory. I'm feeling more tired already. Luke threw a fit yesterday when he found the barbecue tongs and he wanted to "cook" "meat." Then we had more issues today at the fair when the snow cone was all gone...and when it was time to stop playing with the trucks...and when it was time to give Daddy the camera back. Yeesh. I hope I don't get into a cycle of ending every tantrum with cake.

The birthday party, had, as expected, a very scary Elmo character. Both Luke and Gaby hid in parental arms until he got out of their faces. And the Toddler Trot was, well, hmmmm...Not super-fun for Luke, but the bonus was that it was over in about 4.5 seconds. (Photo to follow, if I can learn how to post photos).

Still struggling with the idea of children's personalities. How much of Luke is just the way he is and nothing I do has anything to do with it? Or how much of his sensitivity, reticence, intovertedness, whatever you want to call it, has to do with the fact that we "coddle" or indulge him? Some kids want to be let loose and run around; Luke would be content to be carried around all day. He won't even walk from the living room to the playroom. Some kids see gigantic Elmos at a birthday party and run to the middle of the room and start dancing; Luke will run as far away as possible. Have I created a monster? (or will the Halloween party be a special form of torture for him? At least we won't have large scary Sesame Street characters running around).

Quick note to end on: We went back to the Cuban restaurant yesterday and as we were leaving, Luke said, "Bye, beans!"

No comments: