Wednesday, October 26, 2005

down in the dumps

Total and utter failure as a mother is the best way to sum up the day. Now that I look back I can pinpoint my problem areas, but as I was in it, it just seemed like one big blur of ugh. (good name for a band, right?)

Not only has Luke completely rejected all costumes, he has completely rejected the entire concept of Halloween. I got him a little riding-horse stick to go along with a potential cowboy outfit, and he liked it as a toy, until he found out it was part of my Halloween conspiracy, and then he wanted nothing to do with it.

When he woke up from his nap, there was an entire hour from 4 to 5 when it was like one solid tantrum and I could not help him clear his head. Every time he started to calm down, he would discover something else that he wanted to play with but was not allowed to, and he would lose it all over again. It was not pretty, and I'm the one who's usually willing to take the easiest route out of the tantrum by giving in.

I needed to go to Costco this afternoon, but by the time we worked through the meltdowns and got into the car, it was 6:00, and I could not get out of the city. The traffic was so bad I figured it would take me a half-hour just to get over there, and that would be pointless. So after 20 minutes of futile driving around and trying to find a way to cross PCH, I gave up and went home. All well and good, except I'm expecting 21 toddlers, plus parents and associated relatives, so let's say at least 60 people at our house on Sunday. When am I going to get this thing off the ground? Sunday morning?

So things were OK for a while because we basically just ate and early dinner and watched videos. Then putting Luke to bed was unexpectedly traumatic. He wanted to stay on my lap, not go in the crib, and when I finally put him in there it was scream city. We did our thankyous and our Michael Row The Boat Ashore while he continued to scream, and he screamed even louder then I left the room. Not pretty.

The only thing I can blame it on at this point is probably eating too much sugar today and not enough "real" food. He dove right into a cookie in class, then had a cupcake, and refused all other food. I think it must be true (or at least I'm looking for convenient excuses) that a day of sugar can really set them off.

Not having Dave here tonight is the icing on the cake, so to speak.

Anyone who is reading this post, please root for Luke to sleep through the night.

1 comment:

Joe said...

What kind of perfection are you looking for...Ever occur to you that you might be a good mother in a crappy situation? or that he'll have tantrums no matter what you do because he is tiny and frustrated? you're killing me... good husband, beautiful son, roof over your head and food to eat, sunshine and a brother that thinks you're the tops, seems to me like you have perfection all around you...open your eyes... for the love of god, don't make me come out there...