Tuesday, March 14, 2006

red and yellow and pink and green

Emotions have run the gamut this week. We've had tears, crazy-running-around happiness, and sticky, sticky pinkeye. Luke is home from school today, after having been sent home yesterday with the dreaded eye goop. Luckily for all we have Aunt Suzi to come over and babysit for the day. It's funny, I have a little relief that he's not going to school today because things have been so up-and-down with his emotions and behavior and attitude toward school. Yesterday morning Dave and I were both nervous (not around Luke of course) about how the day was going to go. After a fantastic three-day weekend off from school, filled with activity, Luke woke up early, super-floppy, demanding medicine, and otherwise seemingly knowing that it was a school day. When it came time for me to leave, he begged to go back upstairs and go to sleep. Of course we learned soon enough that he wasn't *actually* tired. Finally Dave managed to get him off to school and dropped off with relatively minor screaming and crying. Then he went on to have a good day that actually involved laughing at the funny Flubber. Who knew? He even got an early reprieve as his eyes were sealed shut after his nap, earning him a one-way ticket home.

This week was going to be a rare three-days-in-a-row week for Luke at school; now, as I said, I guess I'm feeling a little relief that he doesn't have to face that test just yet. But either way, we've got a great long weekend ahead: Charlotte Diamond concert on Thursday; Shabbat with Hatcher and Eitan on Friday; St. Patrick's Day parade on Saturday; and drum circle on Sunday.

Our life is different now, no two ways about it. Mostly it's a big change for Dave in the mornings without Silvia. We now have dishes in the sink, laundry in various states of messiness around the house, unmade bed, various fuzzballs all around the house, lunch and sheets that need to be packed and unpacked, and a boy that needs to be carted and dropped off. But there are too many pluses on the plus side to even think about these things. The real challenge, I think, is going to be getting us all on the same page of "happy" about school and our new life.

One final note from the Luke archives: The other night we were reading Corduroy, and when we got to the page where he wakes up in the morning and Lisa is standing there preparing to buy him, I asked Luke, "What does the girl say?" - expecting to hear "I'm Lisa."

Luke looks at her and says, "I got da money."

No comments: