
Luke has started a little trend of asking questions that cannot be answered, as in, we've left the Tot Lot and he'll ask, "Where Tot Lot go?" Well, it's...at the Tot Lot. Or we'll be reading the Passover book that mentions that the haggaddahs are in Hebrew and he'll ask, "What Hebrew do-ning?" Well, it's...not doing anything, especially when I'm the one reading the book. He also has started to ask me, "What's today?" I was starting to feel like "Monday" or "Sunday" were sort of empty responses, so I made a little daily calendar with pictures to show what he does on each day: Saturday/Sunday is family day, Monday/Tuesday/Thursday is Teacher Beverly and school day, and Wednesday/Friday is Mommy/Lukey day. I decided to represent Mommy/Lukey day with a picture of me and Luke when we were opening the ukelele for the first time, but in truth, Mommy/Lukey day is an evolving work-in-progress. Last week Dave was out of town on both of the Mommy/Lukey days, and those mornings were essentially danger mornings (bruises occurring, stomachache-inducing foods being mistakenly eaten, and doors being inadvertently locked). Now how do I illustrate that? I'm thinking a big skull-and-crossbones might do it. ("Caution! Today you will spend time alone with your mother!")
I'm going to take a big risk here that Luke will never talk to me again when he hits age 12 (or whenever you get embarrassed about things) but I thought I'd mention our forays into potty training, such as it is. We've had some friends who started and had to stop when anti-potty rebellion ensued. So we definitely haven't been pushing it. But we've been giving him the opportunity to use the potty every night before he puts on his pj's. On Wednesday, when Dave was gone, he peed in the potty and came out the door triumphantly: "I did it!!!" So we both celebrated, me by cleaning out the little basin, and him by heading purposefully into his closet, closing the door, and pooping on the floor. But as I told Dave, at least...oh, never mind. That's enough on that.
Saturday night Dave and I went out for dinner and a movie - thank heavens for our babysitters Suzi and Boom-Boom. Luke was a little sad when we left, but Suzi knew that, and she made a point of calling us within five minutes of when we left to let us know that he was totally fine and laughing. On Sunday morning Luke was happy as a clam and even told us the whole story about spilling the grape juice down the front of his shirt.
Sunday night we went over to Bruce and Brandi's house for dinner so that Luke and Eitan could run around and bang drums while Dave and Bruce talked home remodeling, and while Brandi and I commiserated about the poor plight of the part-time working mom. After dinner Bruce hung up the trapeze, which seems as if it should have some great metaphoric value for this blog, but it doesn't really. It was just fun and slightly dangerous, and when you sit on it as Luke did, you can see nothing but Pacific ocean behind him. Now *that's* cool.
No comments:
Post a Comment