Before we had Luke in our lives, one of my favorite down-time activities was lying draped across our love-seat, reading or sometimes just staring off into space (or sleeping, especially when I was pregnant). Dave called it my "perch." After I had Luke, I never had much perch time and I sort of got out of the habit.
But lo and behold - the perch is back in my life, only now I'm not alone there. Luke has started to enjoy lying back in the perch with me. We pull back all of the curtains so we can look up in the trees and telephone lines and scout for squirrels, or if we're lucky, an adventurous cat. Luke calls it "my nest." For a toddler, he can lie amazingly still just watching and listening to the sound of an occasional airplane (or jackhammer).
This morning we were sitting in the perch, more comfortable than ever, and we were lucky enough to see three squirrels.
"This is nice," I said.
"Nice - Yes!" he agreed.
I knew that we had a concert to go to but I didn't want to interrupt precious perch time. Finally I got up to see what time the concert started so we could get out of the house at a reasonable time - Yikers! - It started 10 minutes ago!
I briefly considered just staying on the perch. But we had friends to meet and In-N-Out Burger to eat. Maybe we'll go back to the perch after naptime.
No comments:
Post a Comment