Thursday, December 06, 2007

Regression Analysis


There are some days when I walk into a room and Luke has bundled himself up in a laundry basket or the crib or whatever, and he declares himself a newborn baby in an incubator. Then we have to ooh and ah, and pat him, and sometimes pick him up and carry him. I know why he does this, in the grand scheme of things, but I don't know what will prompt him to do it at any given time - usually he does it when he's happy, not when he's feeling neglected. Funny thing is, Zach thinks it's hilarious. The other night I had to go out somewhere and as I said goodbye to Dave, Luke was cocooned in the laundry basket and Zach was sitting next to him, poking him and cracking up - not quite providing the hospital-level solemnity that Luke was seeking.

Speaking of regressing, Zach seems to be going backward in time. At his six-month checkup, he actually lost weight. No need for immediate concern, though. The doc says that last month their scales were not calibrated properly so he could have had a bad weigh-in. Or he could have worked off some of his weight just from moving around a lot more. Either way, he's now at 20 pounds, 14 ounces and he's still a chart-topper for his age. In other words, he has plenty of weight to spare.

Did I mention that his sleep patterns also did a backslide from iffy to disastrous? Wednesday night he woke up Every. Two. Hours. That didn't even happen when he was a newborn. The "good" news is that we have an explanation and a possible cure: The doc said he was likely uncomfortable from a sinus infection so she put him on antibiotics and we're hoping that in 10 days or so we'll be back to where we were. Poor Luke had been so excited about having Zach sleep in his room; now he doesn't want to deal with the crying, so Zach is mostly back in our room in the Pack-n-Play.

OK, so, lack of sleep, blah blah blah, what else is new? We did some quickie Christmas decorations for before we leave; we have a beautiful petite Christmas tree, a Christmas bush, and two poinsettias. I was hauling out the stockings and was momentarily mystified by why there were only three, and then I realized; duh, there was no Zach last Christmas. To be honest, things were so rocky back then we weren't even sure if we were going to need four stockings. But yay, he's here now, and I don't have to go through that again. He can regress as far back as the incubator if he wants to, but there's no going back any further than that.

No comments: