Saturday, September 06, 2008

Green Machine

Today I spent my first day as a soccer mom, and I've gotta tell you, it's easy to get swept up in the hysteria. Luke enjoyed the first half-hour, which was a practice session with some cool imported British soccer dudes (see pic, Luke is seated). The second half hour, which was the game, was not quite as thrilling for him. He mostly shuffled around the field, trailing the action, and he never even touched the ball. I could feel my frustration welling up until I finally laid it out on Dave: "The coaches NEED to give him a chance on one of these free kicks!!" So Dave dutifully worked it out with the coach, I gave myself a little time out away from the action, Luke was given the ball for one important kick, and... TWEET! The game ended before he could even set the ball down. The coaches have promised him he will do the lead kickoff for next week's game, but he's not so enthused. More importantly, he's disappointed that the team name is going to be "The Green Dragons" instead of his first choice, "The Joeys." I think we all need to work on our attitudes.


And when I say, "we all," I'm referring strictly to me and Luke, not to Dave and Zach, the good-natured half of the family. Zach is just happy to go to the game and pick up any available ball (see pic). He's also happy to play with the tetherball, stray tennis balls, and even balls that other, far bigger, kids are using.

Aside from balls, Zach is starting to take on a new interest in moving vehicles. It's amazing to me that he doesn't really have that many words yet but he can make convincing and distinct noises to imitate a car, a truck, a plane, a digger, a dump truck, and a fire or police siren. Imagine his delight when I gave him a shirt with a little fire truck on the front. He was pointing to his chest and saying "Wee-ooo wee-ooo!" all morning.

I'm not so hung up on my birthday anymore, but apparently it made a big impression on Luke. For the past week, any time he needs to say goodbye or goodnight, he feels compelled to add, "Oh, and happy birthday, Mom." It's funny - he just said it to me again as he went to bed - but I am starting to think this birthday is turning into Groundhog Day for me. How many more times until I get it right?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Soccer Mom!!!!! Soccer Mom!!!!!