Thursday, April 23, 2009

Pop Quiz

Question: Which adorable young man turned two today? Hint: He is sweet, shy, funny, gives enormous hugs, loves cats and dogs, and does a little two-step shuffle dance when he is excited. Need more? OK, he loves trains, trucks, water, balls - heck, any circular object -- and climbing up ladders to dizzying heights. Still more? He has massive greenish-blue eyes, wavy (yes, wavy) blond hair, and a smile that can melt the hardest heart. And when you ask him how old he is, he says, "Foo" - not because he can't say "Two," but because it's funnier than "Two."

Give up yet? It's Zach, of course, and boy am I glad to have a two-year-old. Dave is gone tonight so we had a very pathetic little celebration with just me and Luke and Zach here at the house. Everyone (including me) was in various stages of screaming and melting down, and we managed to have a collective calm just long enough to sing the birthday song over a jumbo cupcake. I'd rather forget about that and just think ahead to Sunday, when we're having the "real" party, and when we're all a little healthier and a little more rested.

Zach is a little volcano of words and opinions these days, and nothing or no one will get in his way. If I put something he wants out of reach, he'll calmly go and get a chair and move it over to where he needs it so he can climb up. There were two different times yesterday when he was very slowly and methodically dragging the chair from Luke's work table upstairs (yes, up a flight of stairs) so he could get closer to the water dispenser on the fridge.

On the flip side, he's happy, silly, and incredibly affectionate. Today we brought cupcakes to Zach's class and Luke joined Zach's little group for snack time. Apparently Zach announced, "Give Luke...big hug!" and wrapped him up in a massive bear hug. The teachers are all impressed with the openness and intensity of their affection for one another.

I am falling asleep rapidly here; it's been a long day with two rambunctious boys. Just want to say once again how happy I am to have this little guy.

I love you, my two-year-old boy.

1 comment:

Joe said...

Ha! Now that's an awesome picture...