Saturday, September 19, 2009

Group Shot

The last two weeks have been a doozy (have been doozies?) so I am sure I'm not going to cover everything interesting or even momentous; I just want to move along with my life and my blog-bligation.

Luke is good; kindergarten suits him well. I volunteered in his class on Thursday and Friday and, without violating any confidentiality agreements, I can say that Luke is a great student (especially compared to some of the other squirrelly, can't-sit-still little kids). It was fun to be there on Friday to help out on his class picture day; with only 16 kids it feels like a nice little group.

He's also having a great time - surprisingly for me - on his soccer team, the Orange Firebombs (total kid name). I haven't been to a game yet (the games are all scheduled for mid-afternoon, right during Zach's nap) but for the past two weeks Luke and Assistant Coach Dave have come back with glowing reports. Even though they are not supposed to be keeping score, their team is apparently scoring a lot more goals than the other teams, which Luke finds entirely thrilling. And he "almost" scored a goal yesterday.

Zach is... what is he? He's having a hard time getting dropped off at school; then he's having a great time; then he's happy at home; then he's completely miserable. I don't know quite what to make of this. He is completely lovable, except on days like yesterday when he was having the Day of Destruction. Everything that he could throw, dump, or spill...he did. Every moment that he could be chilling out, he was screaming. I still don't know what was going on with him but he seems to be better today, which is good, because I was ready to put myself up for adoption by some nice, calm, non-throwing, non-dumping family.


A friend of mine in New Hampshire has a son whose class is doing a Flat Stanley project and they sent us the Flat Stanley to take some pictures here and there. I thought Luke would enjoy it - and maybe he is for all I know - but for the moment I'm the one having the most fun with it and planning little outings. Here's Flat Stanley "hanging ten" off the pier this morning. Gnarly, dude.

No comments: