Friday, July 16, 2010

Freeze

If I could only use one word to describe Luke these days, it would be "exuberant." Somehow, through a combination of summer vacation, cool activities, and fun friends, he has suddenly hit his stride. He walks through the day with a perpetual smile on his face, and he just bubbles over with enthusiasm to tell you every detail about Star Wars (Episodes I through IV), his DS prowess, playing in the ocean, his favorite movie quotes, or his plans for future Lego projects.

This new development is best encapsulated by his week at beach camp. He seems to have gotten over any fear he had about going in the ocean, and he has spent the week joyfully tumbling in the waves and getting soaked without even once bothering to put on his goggles. (Last year he'd come home with a different craft he had done each day, but this year he skipped craft time altogether to spend more time in the ocean). I can't tell you what a joy it is to watch him discover something cool and have so much fun with it. Oh wait - maybe some of you know something about that already.

He's been watching a few movies lately and he seems to be taking them in stride too; not getting too frightened or worked up about the scary parts. He had me cracking up the other day with his spot-on imitation of Flint from "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" baffled by his first snowball fight: "Is there like a point system, or is it...to the death?"

He seems to miss his kindergarten friends, but he's confidently taken matters into his own hands. Last week he systematically worked his way down the roster, calling various friends and leaving rambling messages on family voice mails. Sure, I got some confused responses from a few moms, but it also resulted in some great playdates and meet-ups with his long-lost (read: haven't seen them in three weeks) buddies.

Tonight as he was falling asleep he suddenly lifted up his head and announced, "I need the phone number for a scientist or an inventor." Turns out he wants some help with a water speeder he has plans to build. The funny thing is, I'll bet if I gave him a phone number, he would call it.

I just love six and a half so much I want to freeze it.

No comments: