Sunday, December 18, 2005

full circle


Well, here we are, back to Christmas again, and almost back to the East Coast again, which is where (and why) this blog started. I've been waiting all year for this, and yet I'm not ready...still need to pack, still need to put labels and ribbons on fudge, still need to address more cards, and still need to rest and have some down time with Dave. Now that I've read Joe's stollen blog, I'm reflecting more on yesterday with Dave's family, and thinking - even though I think I'm grown up, there are times when I still don't *get* it. Dave's been wrapping up work so that he spend two whole weeks with my family, and I was ready to say that I was too stressed and over-committed to spend an afternoon with his family yesterday. And his dad doesn't seem well, which makes me sad and nervous. I spend a lot of time thinking how far away I am from family, but Dave's family really is family to me here.

So, speaking of immediate family, Dave and Luke and I had one last Sunday here for the year and we decided to spend it the way we could only do it in California - at the beach, at a drum circle. Luke was in hog heaven. He jumped right in and picked up the beat, and some of the big guys were nice enough to help him with the spare drums and shakers. How many passers-bys' (passer-bys'?) pictures did he wind up in today? Enough that he's bound to be immortalized in at least one person's vacation photo album.

Luke is hilarious. Dave is a dream guy. We are rich, let me tell you, rich as kings, because we have not one but two full lives, on either side of the country.

No comments: