
Let's see how well I can do this with my thumbs (on my blackberry). Not having a computer for a week is quite a handicap. We're in an amazing, enormous, and yet cozy house, two (flat) blocks from the beach. It has been alternately fun and challenging for me with the two boys. There are plenty of hands around to help, but there are plenty of times (or always, in Zach's case) that I'm the only one who will do. Plus Papa has a wicked knee injury that has sidelined him and kept him out of most of the activities (though he's still hobbling up to his third-floor bedroom) and he hasn't been able to help as much as he would like.
Speaking of bedrooms, I think the reason I like this house so much is because of our super-cozy spot in the attic. Luke, Zach, and I are all together in a room that is big but feels small-ish because of the low dormer ceiling. I love how all three of us get to wake up together. Usually we spend a few minutes laughing and mugging in the morning before we head down to the chaos downstairs.
Luke loves being with his cousins and aunts and uncles and grandparents but he sure misses his dad. I think it's most apparent when we're at the beach and he doesn't have Dave to dig a hole with him or slowly coax him into the water. Today we were at the beach for only 90 minutes when Zach petered out and Luke decided it wasn't worth it to stick around. It's hard to balance their needs because Zach (and the rest of the cousins) want to be in the water while Luke wants to be in the sand. He dug for a while by himself today, then called it a day.
It's always a relief at the end of the day when all six kids are in bed. Tonight Joe and Sara went out and bought ice cream - now the grownups are all sitting around and slurping up dulce de leche, carmelized pear, and chunky monkey. Aaaaahhhh. Don't tell the kids.
No comments:
Post a Comment