Thursday, July 31, 2008

at the water's edge


OK, so it took a squad of no less than five adults, but Luke was finally convinced to go in to the water at the beach today. He went in as far as knee-deep holding on to Papa's and Joe's hands. He got some extra coaching on the side from me and Mom and Liz. Even still, he contined to tell me variously that he only wanted to go to the beach with Dave, that he'd rather be at Sunnybrook, and that he just wanted to go back to the house. But who knows, maybe by this time next year he'll be boogie-boarding as well as Sam.

Zach, on the other hand, can't seem to stay away from the water. This afternoon we went to the stony Sunset Beach and I wasn't prepared to go in, but Zach forged ahead and I wound up stripping him down to get wet because I foolishly didn't have any more diapers with me. As it was, I wound up buying him a sweatshirt to keep him warm after his shirt got soaked.

At one point at the beach today, I went down to the water to fill a bucket for our sand-castle project and Zach started freaking out and tried to follow me down. "He would literally follow you into the ocean," my dad observed in amazement. "Kind of funny that two years from now he'll be a master at ignoring you." Too true. I'll take this for now.

No comments: