Monday, April 26, 2010

Three Days of Three

Here's our three-year-old star, off and wheeling. (The bike is currently configured as a pseudo balance bike, with training wheels but no pedals, so he's just kind of scooting along on it.)

Instead of having just one, boring old birthday, Zach had three days to savor the treats (Panda Express for dinner! Costco balloon cake!) and open presents. (Of course I'm being a little facetious, but I'm trying to hide my guilt about not doing a party-party for him.)

On Friday, the actual birthday, we all went out for Chinese food and inflated more than a few a few balloons in the house. On Saturday he opened his new Automoblox from Uncle Joe and had a great time building, racing, and rebuilding with Luke. Then on Sunday, we dropped Luke off at Suzi and Bill's and then took Zach to "special other Legoland," his favorite kiddie amusement park. I'm sure there's some special thrill for the second kid to get full-on attention from both parents at one time, but as it turned out, Zach only wanted to go on rides with Dave. And really, who wouldn't?

After dinner we all reconvened back at Grandma Bobbie and Granddad's house for cake (meant to serve 25 to 30) and presents. Speaking of Costco cake, I'm currently battling some inner demons that are telling me to GO EAT MORE CAKE in the refrigerator. I don't know what it is about that cake (well, I do know, and it has partly to do with the chocolate mousse filling) but it is absolutely addicting, which is great news for Costco and bad news for my abdomen.

Anycake, Luke was having a little bit of a hard time watching Zach get all of the treats, but he did manage to save a small amount of good will for Zach's present-opening time. He stood behind him, offering assistance, ooh-ing and ah-ing, and applauding when necessary. Luke also had a little flash of maturity when it came to letting Zach win the battle over who is "six." "OK, Zach, you're six," Luke conceded. "But if you're gonna be six, why don't you USE THE BATHROOM INSTEAD OF A DIAPER!?!?" Can't really argue with that logic.

Of course there were a whole mess of other things that happened this weekend, from a great afternoon at the resort pool with Cousin Jennifer, Jamie, and the girls; to a romantic date with Dave to celebrate Anniversary #11, facilitated by Suzi and Bill's babysitting services.

But today I was still feeling sort of Zach birthday-ish, so when Hatcher's mom offered to take Luke, and I found myself alone with Zach for an hour, we went to the farmers' market and took another train ride. And wouldn't you know it, the balloon lady was there, and Zach went bananas. He wanted her to make a blimp, and although she didn't have an exact plan for a blimp, you could tell she really wanted to make something work. So a whole bunch of kids sat there with amazing patience while she inflated... twisted... bent ... tied off... assessed... scrapped and started over... inflated... twisted... bent... and finally completed the most enormous black rocketship thingie you've ever seen - it's at least four feet long. I guess this is a time when a picture actually would come in handy. But I'll just leave it to your imagination while you try to picture a three-year-old boy, holding a rocket bigger than he is, and ZOOMing it through the sky.

No comments: