Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Deeply flawed

Every now and then we have one of those rare moments when the boys are filled with love for each other and just can't stop hugging and kissing. Usually those periods are followed by sharp, heavy blows to each other's bodies. But this time at least I caught the happy time on camera. This also marked the first time both boys went in the pool without me (I was sitting on the edge taking pictures) and I guess since Zach likes having something to hang on to, he decided that Luke was the next best thing.

Zach is absolutely loving his "new big kids school" a.k.a. the three-year-old class. He holds tightly onto his baby kitten throughout the day, yet each day he comes back reporting that he has been having a great time. I thought all was hunky-dory until the teacher told me last Thursday that he had bitten another kid. Biting? I guess I just associate biting with the worst of the worst - the kids with serious behavioral issues. But fortunately the teacher (who has known him since he was born) is gentle, philosophical, well-trained, and empathetic; and she's been working with and watching him closely. At home, Zach will suddenly declare out of the blue, "I will not bite or hit my friends anymore," or sometimes, "Teeth are for food!" and so far, no more biting. But every now and then when Zach says, "I love my friends at school!" Dave and I give each other a look and we each know that we're mentally finishing his sentence with our own private joke: "...because they're so delicious!"

Luke is also having a great time in school, and appears to be doing quite well. So far he is the only kid in the class to ace all of the spelling tests, and he's having fun with the reading and the math. But then his teacher told me yesterday, "He's a little bit of a mystery to me. Sometimes I am not sure if I'm getting through to him - he seems like he's daydreaming a lot, or just in his own little world. Is he like that at home?" Um, well, we do call him the Absent-Minded Professor. And just after that we got into the car to go pick up Zach, and Luke discovered once we got there that he only had his socks on and no shoes. "Where exactly did you think we were going when you got in the car?" I asked him, after he claimed not to have known. Theories abound as to this behavior: He's a dreamer; he's bored; his brain is roasted from the DS... Is there a problem? His teacher says we are going to watch it, but for now I'm going to come down on the side of "dreamer."

What I'm trying to say is that even though these boys may appear to be significantly flawed on the surface, I have a little secret, which is that they are in fact, absolutely perfect. To me. That's why even though there is plenty more to say on various educational, financial, medical, and developmental issues; I will just leave it at this, with a picture of two brothers mugging and hugging, and having a great time being perfect/not-perfect together.

No comments: