I had a project yesterday that was inspired by a number of things, one of which was a comment from the peanut gallery about how I am not fully appreciating what I have in life (read: I'm all glass-is-half-empty). So yesterday, a mundane, workaday Tuesday, I made it my mission to have the Best Day Ever. Actually, I knew that would be aiming a little high but I thought I'd at least aim for a Great Day. Did my new sunny-side-up approach to life have any effect whatsoever? Well, I suppose I was a little more patient with things at work. I tried a little harder to make sure that my time with Luke was fun time and not chore time. I tried a little harder not to get frustrated by Every. Little. Thing. that Silvia does. All in all, it was genuinely an OK day. Luke and I actually had a grand old time after dinner reading the new books I bought him. The only part of the day that was truly horrible was when I put him to bed (no Dave) and he screamed bloody murder for a good 15 to 20 minutes before I finally threw in the towel and went to get him and even took him out of the crib. But astonishly, he calmed down and within a few minutes and a quick water break, went back to bed willingly and peacefully.
Today was an OK day too even though I didn't have to make an effort to convince myself of it. Luke was lotsa fun through the morning and in class, up until he had a mini cookie (TOO-TEE! TOO-TEE!) tantrum. (Ironically, the class discussion was, Why do they whine? and one of the first answers was: Because they are tired). I took him home and he fell asleep even before I got back to the house, which was funny for me because I didn't realize he had been asleep and I had been talking to him the whole time.
What was my point here? So it was a good day; maybe just a little disappointing that Dave couldn't make it home until after 7:30. He's been working so hard, and I feel bad for him, but I also feel bad for Luke missing out on that time. Tonight we had a chance to do Luke's absolute favorite thing in the world - all three of us jamming on various guitars, brooms, and shovels - but it only lasted a few seconds because it was way past bedtime.
Where am I going with this? I guess I'm just saying that I hear y'all - I'm trying to honor my blessings and make the most of them.
No comments:
Post a Comment