Too bad I don't have a picture to go with today's post. If I did, it would be a big blur of me and Dave and Luke zipping along the beach at top speed, two grown-ups on Rollerblades and one tot in a jogging stroller. It has been almost THREE YEARS since we last Rollerbladed. I forgot how much fun it was. On Friday when we drove along the beach, I said to Dave, somewhat nostalgically, "Remember when we used to just go skating on the beach?" and he said, "We still can!"
So this morning we clumsily packed up the entire car, preparing for any possible diaper-changing, sun-screening, sand-digging situation, and we bumped on down the road to Playa del Rey. I wondered if it really would be like getting back on a bike, and...it was. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee! I barely even bothered to wait for Dave and Luke. The fact that it was sunny and nearly 85 degrees outside made it simultaneously more enjoyable and more uncomfortable. We stopped for a little while, took a breather, gave Luke time to dig, and then kept going for what we clocked at approximately four-plus miles. Was there throwup earlier this weekend? Yes, yes there was. But was it all forgotten as we zipped along the smooth beach pathway? Yes, yes it was.
Luke conked out on the way back and then perked up once we got to the house. He won't go down for his nap now because all he wants to talk about is "Fast! Fast! Fast!" Maybe it'll become a new routine...Maybe there's something that we can do for our own self-interest that he will enjoy as well...Heck, maybe he'll be one of those little kids who goes around on skates like they're regular shoes. OK, now I'm scaring myself. I'm just going to relax now with that smooth, smooth skating feeling still running through my legs...
No comments:
Post a Comment