
Our class assignment was to take the Test - the test of temperamental characteristics that attempts to characterize a child's personality - for ourselves, for our child, and for our spouse; then compare the results and prepare to argue. Don't worry, we didn't fight. But I'm laughing about some of the things that we just find "off the charts" about each other. For instance, on "physical sensitivity" - awareness of slight noises, slight differences in temperature, etc. - Dave rated me to the extreme of "not sensitive" and I rated him to the extreme of "very sensitive." And of course we know each other is more or less right. (Remember, we are 'cursed' in this house with those slider light switches, which means that every time Dave enters a room, he feels the need to adjust the light just a little more or less to get it right...) And on "positive or negative mood," Dave was all the way at the top of positive; and I think his positive nature actually colored his responses about me as more positive than I actually am. Where does Luke fall in these categories? With all the caveats about not pigeonholing a kid too early, and not mistaking 2-year-old traits for lifelong personality characteristics...I think it's pretty interesting that he seems to fall more or less right in the middle of us. Funny how that works.
But the real question is, how does this all relate to pizza? I'm not really sure - and I don't think I'm going to drag out some painful analogies to make a connection. Suffice to say, Luke made his first pizza tonight and it was delicious and we had an awesome time making it together. It got a little tricky when we were trying to flatten out the dough into a big circle and he realized that it was actually more fun to poke holes in it than smooth it out. But I think he thought the best part was putting on the meat. (If he truly had it his way, all of the pepperoni slices would be in a big pile on top of one another.) Oh, and it tasted good too.
So let's not get all bogged down in this adaptability/persistence/sensitivity/distractability matrix. It's a Friday night, we had some tasty pizza, and our lighting is perfectly adjusted. Life is sweet.
No comments:
Post a Comment