Thursday, January 05, 2006

What is the purpose of this blog?

I've been forced to ask myself why I am writing this blog, exactly...The writing's not especially great or funny, and as far as recording events it's far from all-inclusive. What purpose is it serving, other than an occasional distraction for me and one or two others? Any thoughts are welcome.

So.... We're home and the process of getting there was not too bad (word to the wise for those who might be hesitant about flying cross-country with kids, wherever you may be). In fact, it seemed like Luke matured exponentially in the past two weeks since we flew back East. All signs pointed to a terrible trip: Not only did we have to wake up at 5:30 am (2:30 am) to get to the airport, but the plane was then delayed by 2 1/2 hours. That said, Luke was a jewel on the plane. He willingly sat in his seat, read books, watched videos, ate, got his diaper changed without a freakout, appeared marginally interested in the goings-on outside his window, and even slept for about an hour. As Dave observed, it was like he really understood where we were going, and what was going on. While we were en route I realized that being on a plane was one of the only times that the three of us are together in close proximity, forced to talk and read and look at each other. And as the flight was ending, I heard myself say those words I never thought I'd utter in a million years: "I wish this flight would last a little longer." Aaaaahhhh.

Making the transition back to West Coast time was another story. Luke woke up crying at 5 am yesterday morning, and by 9 am he was *begging* to put his pajamas back on and go to bed. Then he slept for three hours and was up by noon as if it was morning (uh, yeah, in Guam). We did our best to keep him up until 7:30 pm but by then he was so tired he couldn't even hold a guitar or sit on the chair to play it (which is saying a lot). Then when Dave put him down he did a total overtired hysterical freakout, unlike anything we've heard in a long time. Sigh. At least he slept until 6:30 this morning, which is pretty close to normal. Let's hope today was OK.

I'm doing OK, at work, but again it's an adjustment after so many days of people and happy noise. Here it's quiet and there's very little human interaction. I went to a bookstore at lunch and browsed and tried to remember the last time I had a day that was so internalized. Now the combined effects of time-zone confusion and bad eating choices have made me sleepy, very sleepy...

I like my job, I guess. I've boiled it down to something that I can do in a few hours a week, and no one hassles me, and I get paid with some cool state benefits. But I keep thinking I'll do it just until the Change happens - and I don't know what that change will be. When I publish my novel? Yeah, I have to write it first. When Dave's job takes us to Washington or Sacramento? Yeah, when global warming eliminates winter in both of those places. Will there be something that I do to make a change, or will it creep up on me slowly, without warning?

What is the purpose of this blog?

No comments: